- We make our Fruit+Chia Bars from organic white chia seeds and 100% fruit grown in Oregon, Washington and California, where farmers grow some of the most delicious fruit in the world. Since the fruit does not travel far from orchard to bar, our bars retain more of the naturally delicious flavor from the fruit. Other brands buy the fruit for their bars from overseas but this decreases flavor and nutrition and gives you less control over your supply chain. Our Fruit+Chia Bars are like a juicier, thicker version of fruit leather with none of the sponginess or stickiness of other bars and fruit strips with added crunch from the organic white chia seeds.
- Our Fruit+Chia Bars have 3g of fiber, 1g of fiber, and only 90 calorie bar, so they provide you with solid nutrition without interfering with your meals. The chia seeds provide you with over 600mg of ALA Omega 3 fatty acids to help keep your brain, joints, and heart healthy. And, the high level of fiber helps to keep your blood sugar steady while you enjoy your fruit bar. The texture of these bars is similar to our Just Fruit Raspberry bar with the added crunch of chia seeds.
More Special Features
- Our Fruit+Chia Bars are 100% fruit. We do not use any artificial or added “natural” flavors, sweeteners or colors. Specific carbohydrate diet approved. Our ingredients are made with the whole fruit, including the skins, though you will not notice the skins in the bar.
- We use organic chia seeds because conventional chia is known as one of the “dirtiest” crops on the market, with significant pesticide residue. This is because they do not have a husk or shell that is removed like with other seeds, and they cannot be washed post harvest like fruit can.
- Vegan, Paleo, Low Glycemic, Top 12 Allergy Free Facility, No Soy, No Peanut, No Tree Nuts, No Sesame, No Dairy, No Egg, No Mustard, No Sea Creatures, No Wheat, No Gluten, No Sulfites, No Corn On Equipment, No Preservatives
About Our Farms
- Fruit+Chia Bars are simply our Just Fruit Bars with chia seeds added for extra nutrition and crunch. The original Just Fruit Bars were a joint project of the USDA and pear and apple farming families in the Pacific Northwest under the name Gorge Delight almost 20 years ago. They wanted to create a product to use the “culled” fruit in conventional orchards. At the time, up to 50% of conventional orchard harvests were wasted because they were considered too ugly or small or misshapen to sell as whole fruit. Working with the USDA, the farmers created the first fruit bar and sent them out in MREs to the military in bases all over the world. And, though the USDA is no longer involved in the production, those original farming families are part owners of ZEGO.
How to Use
- Enjoy as a calorie-limited fruit snack any time of day–whether on-the-go or as a pick-me-up between classes or work meetings. Nut free and safe to bring to schools. Great for fueling or recovering from a workout. Cut into squares to use as a delightful addition to a cheese and fruit platter. Use small cookie cutters to make fun shapes and “decorate” a nut or seed butter open-faced sandwich. Or, put cut squares onto sticks and dip into melted chocolate for an engaging dessert or party treat. Fruit+Chia Bars are our most popular bars for our corporate office customers.
- Why do we test for agricultural chemicals in our Fruit+Chia Bars? Our fruit bars are made from conventional fruit as part of a sustainability effort to use culled fruit. Most of our fruit is grown in the Pacific Northwest where farmers typically use fewer chemicals on their crops. But, they do use some, and there is possible drift from surrounding fields and waterways. So we test our ingredients after each harvest for over 400 chemicals. We typically detect small levels of a handful of agricultural chemicals but the levels are very low. If we find a spike in a particular chemical, like we did with raspberries one year, we switch to organic for that ingredient for the season. Seasonal changes to organic are not reflected on our packaging. We also test for glyphosate, and to date, all tests have shown no measurable amounts of that chemical.
- We believe it is important to offer better conventional products in the marketplace. Organic certification is expensive for farmers and for many it is unattainable due to finance and other concerns. Only 4% of farmland in the U.S. is certified organic. Yet, many conventional farmers work hard to reduce their use of commercial pesticides and rely more on regenerative farming practices. If brands start buying ingredients based on how clean they are, not just the 0-1 structure of organic certification, farmers will be compensated for making steps toward cleaner growing and more farmers will be encouraged and able to grow cleaner crops. Organic certification is valuable and important, but we also need to expand our compensation system for food so it rewards farmers for making changes that result in better, cleaner food for us, their workers, and our planet, even if they are not certified organic.
- Scan the QR code on any package to see the purity test results for your bar and the list of the 400 chemicals we test for or see the results in our Food Safety section on our website.
- See Test Results for Fruit+Chia Bars.
- Made in a Top 12 Allergy Free Facility, No Soy, No Peanut, No Tree Nuts, No Sesame, No Dairy, No Egg, No Mustard, No Sea Creatures, No Wheat, No Gluten, No Sulfites, No Corn On Equipment, No Preservatives