Celebrate the best of summer fruit with our gluten-free clafoutis with blueberries, lemon zest, and candied ginger.
And, don’t be intimidated by the name because this gluten-free clafoutis is an incredibly easy recipe. It’s just one step more than “blend-and-bake.”
If you haven’t had clafoutis before, it’s similar to a cake-like flan or custardy cake: just think “delicious!”
Gluten-Free Clafoutis: How this Recipe is Better
Traditional clafoutis uses wheat flour but we substituted oat flour for a richer taste and better texture. Another benefit is that the eggs and Double Protein Oats add more protein and fiber than the traditional recipe, which helps keep your blood sugar level and gives an added boost to your immune system.
In addition, we decreased the sugar level. But we think you could even make this more a breakfast-type dish by substituting the sugar with dates. Just blend 1 cup of dates with your oat milk and eliminate the sugar. Another healthy swap is to replace the candied ginger with fresh ginger. And, let us know if you try it!
Special Diet Features
Our gluten-free clafoutis is also dairy free, peanut free, soy free, tree nut free, low glycemic.
And, of course, you can make this vegan and egg-free by substituting flax eggs or another egg substitute.
Gluten-Free Clafoutis with Blueberries, Lemon Zest, and Candied Ginger
makes 2 short pies or one tall casserole, about 8 servings
- 1 T butter or other fat to coat baking dish (or line dish with parchment paper and only coat sides)
- 1 cup (200g) coconut sugar
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 128 grams ZEGO Oats ground into flour in blender or food processor
- 2 cups oat milk or other alternative milk (40 grams additional ZEGO Oats + 2 cups water–see how in the second bullet under Method)
- 2 cups berries (fresh or frozen)
- Zest of 2-3 lemons
- 1/4 cup crystallized ginger, chopped (or use fresh)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat a pie dish or casserole. This recipe can make 2 pies or one taller casserole.
- To make OAT MILK, take 40 grams of oat flour and pour 1/2 cup boiling water over it. Let sit for 10 minutes. Then blend with the remaining 1.5 cups of water for 30 seconds. Pour over strainer into a bowl. Discard anything left in the strainer (you may need to pour half the oat water, strain, flip strainer over to remove the contents of the strainer, and repeat).
- Whisk all ingredients together except berries, lemon zest, and ginger. Sugar should dissolve. Try to eliminate any lumps. Batter will be very thin, not thick.
- Pour batter into the baking dish to a height of 1/2 inch.
- Bake 15 minutes until center cooked but jiggly.
- Take dish out of oven and pour berries on top.
- Sprinkle candied ginger over berries.
- Pour rest of batter over the berries and ginger.
- Zest your lemons so it sprinkles over the top of the batter.
- Bake for another 60 minutes until edges are browned and center is soft.
- Optional: Sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to tag @zegofoods on instagram and use the hashtag #PoweredByZEGO
0 Comments for “Gluten Free Clafoutis with Blueberries, Lemon Zest, and Candied Ginger”