African Vegan Soup (allergy friendly version of peanut soup)
Adapted from COOKIESANDKATE.COM
Serves 6 | Vegan, Nut Free Option
- 4-5 C vegetable broth
- 2 C water
- 1T oil
- 3 T ZEGO Protein Powder
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 2 T fresh ginger, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed then minced
- salt to taste
- 1 bunch collard greens or other bitter greens, ribs removed and chopped into 1″ strips
- 3/4 C sunflower butter (or peanut butter)
- 1/2 C tomato paste
- Hot Sauce
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds for garnish (or chopped peanuts)
- Combine the water and broth and bring to a simmer.
- Add oil, onion, ginger, garlic and gently heat in frying pan until you can smell their yumminess. approx. 2 minutes. Add to broth.
- Whisk together the sunflower butter, tomato paste and ZEGO protein in a heat safe bowl with 1-2 C hot broth until combined. Add to soup pot.
- Add collards to soup pot and turn off the heat. Add salt and hot sauce to taste. You do not want to over cook the soup our you will cook away some of the nutrition in the ingredients!
Kiesha Yokers has a mostly vegan household and is always looking for delicious soups with protein that support her family’s health and growth!
She adapted this delicious recipe from Cookies and Kate to boost the protein with ZEGO’s Plant Protein. Then, Colleen did a few extra tweaks on the cooking instructions so you will get even more benefit from the nutrition in the ingredients!
Be sure to check out Kiesha for more healthy living tips on IG @green.and.well and her website.