Cranberry Lemon Muesli Scones
This recipe for gluten-free scones may be the one we make the most of all–it competes with our Best Oatmeal Cookie for favorite status!
This recipe is based on our Apple Cranberry Muesli with the addition of the delicious zip of lemon zest. The result is a bright burst of sunshine in every bite.
Be sure to try our Cinnamon Twist version as well. It has a deliciously warm, sweet flavor we know you’ll love.
How This Recipe is Better
Most recipes for gluten-free scones use highly refined flour and starches to create a texture that is a bit delicate and tends to fall apart with any pressure. The flavor is, well, blank. They are never as good as they look.
Fear not! We have the antidote to that disappointing scone. Because we use our Muesli with rolled, gluten-free oats, you will have a much heartier scone with our recipe that is perfect for dunking in coffee or hot chocolate. And, the seeds and fruit add immune-boosting minerals and vitamins.
If you like them to have a bit of extra sweetness, sprinkle them with sugar before baking and add a tiny bit of salt. We find the large grind sugar is the best –crunchy, tasty, and fun!
Muesli Gluten-Free Scones – Simple, Delicious
Serves 6 | Vegan Friendly, Gluten-Free Scones
GLUTEN-FREE SCONE INGREDIENTS
- 1 cup walnuts (or safe substitute)
- 2 cups ZEGO muesli (Apple Cranberry)
- 2/3 cup cassava flour (or other flour)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup almond butter (or safe substitute)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- zest of 1 large or 2 small lemons
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 egg (or safe substitute)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Using small pulses, grind walnuts in a food processor until ground into a flour (a medium grind is fine — make sure to not pulse walnuts until they become butter!).
- Pour walnut flour into a large bowl & combine with dry ingredients.
- Put wet ingredients including the lemon zest in the food processor and pulse until combined in one smooth mixture.
- Combine wet and dry mixtures in the large bowl. Mix using a wooden spoon & your hands if necessary.
- Place scone mixture onto a piece of parchment paper and flatten. Cut into 2″-3″ strips and then cut each strip using alternating diagonals to create triangles.
- Transfer triangles onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Add a sprinkle of sugar on the top if you like and bake until golden brown (10-15 min).
- Let scones cool before removing them from the sheet.